Thursday 6 August 2009

Harry Patch

I was born in 1948, so missed the war completely. My mum and dad went through it a bit, though they never talked about it much.

As a 'baby boomer', I can only offer my heartfelt thanks to Harry, and all the other heroes who gave their lives in those terrible wars. Without them I would not be living in the country or freedom that I do today. Their hard won freedom for us is precious, and we should never forget that. War is an abomination against humanity, who are made in God's image. Harry and the others went on our behalf, selflessly giving their all that we might live.

Farewell Harry, and God bless you mate.

Colin.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that Brother. I had a gig on Sunday, entertaining the 'old soldiers' in Camberley, Surrey. It's my fourth time back there and I love it. They are very special people. It is good to reflect on the horrors that they endured for YOU and ME. It really does give ones own problems a reality check! It grieves me that these heroes died for peace - and we're still at it. They must weep in their graves. Jesus died for peace, too. Which reminds me........may I share something with you. When I was a new born again Christian, I remember being asked about my 'Jesus on the Cross' necklace. The man said "why have you got that? - He's no longer there". I immediately took it off. 20 years later in my local hotel, a Catholic friend of mine had a 'Jesus on the Cross' necklace showing. I repeated what I had been told two decades earlier. Her reply was so wonderful. She said, "Yes I know, but I wear it to remind me of what Jesus did for me"..........We really do live and learn - and need to listen to others!

    Bless you Brother
    Nonny

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.